We recognize that diving into the downloading process can be overwhelming. How can it not? With so many different types of downloadable devices, each patron's downloading experience is unique. The information on this page provides an overview that is designed to help guide you through the process. If, at any time, you feel like you would like a librarian to guide you through the process, please drop by the library, call, or email us.
Before You Begin
The Library offers free access to downloadable audiobooks and ebooks through a service named Overdrive.
- The NH Downloadable Book link on our web site will take you directly to the Overdrive site.
- This service is available 24/7 and is accessible from the convenience of your home or office computer.
To learn more about the service and how it works, read on below...
Step 1: Download & install free software
Step 2: Activate the Software
Step 3: Check out, download, & enjoy!
You can check out and download the following types of digital materials through the NH Downloadable Books web site:
- Adobe® PDF eBooks
- OverDrive WMA Audiobooks
- OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks
You will need
- A valid Conway Public Library card
- Internet access (Remember: the library offers free Wi-Fi as well as public access computers)
- A computer or device that meets the system requirements for the type(s) of digital materials you wish to check out
- Free software for the computer or device on which you wish to use the materials available at this site. Don't panic! Breathe. You will only need to install this software once. It's free and is easy to install. Steps 1& 2 below will walk you through the process.
A guided tour of this service is available
- Take a guided tour of this service by clicking here
- You must have the free Adobe Flash® Player installed to view the guided tour. To review system requirements and download Adobe Flash Player, click here
Get Started Now
Step 1 - Download & install free software
You need to download and install the free software that allows you to enjoy the type(s) of materials you are interested in.
To download Adobe eBooks, you need Adobe® Digital Editions. You may download and install Adobe Digital Editions by clicking here.
To download OverDrive titles, you need OverDrive Media Console™. OverDrive Media Console is available for the following devices:
Android v1.5 (or newer)
BlackBerry v4.5 (or newer)
iPhone® OS v3.1.3 (or newer)
Mac OS® v10.4.9 (or newer)
Windows® 98 SE (or newer)
Windows Mobile® 5 and 6
To download and install OverDrive Media Console, click here.
Step 2 - Activate the software
After you have installed the software that you downloaded, you will need to either activate it or perform a security upgrade to make it operable. This must be done before downloading digital materials.
Adobe Digital Editions
- Activation required.
- Adobe Digital Editions can be activated anonymously or by using an Adobe ID. Anonymous activation allows you to download and read copyrighted (DRM-protected) eBooks on a single computer only. Activating using an Adobe ID allows you to download and read copyright protected eBooks on multiple computers and transfer them to supported eBook devices.
- For more information on activating Adobe Digital Editions, click here.
OverDrive Media Console for Windows
- OverDrive Media Console for Windows utilizes Windows Media® Player 9 Series (or newer) to play copyright protected files. The first time that Windows Media Player attempts to open a copyrighted (DRM-protected) file, it will alert you that a security upgrade must be performed before the file can be opened. The upgrade takes just a few moments.
- Only OverDrive Media Console for Windows requires a security upgrade. All other versions of OverDrive Media Console do not require security upgrades.
- For more information on OverDrive WMA Audiobooks and upgrading Windows Media Player, click here.
- OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks do not require the Windows Media Player Security Upgrade.
Step 3 - Check out, download, and enjoy!
- Browse or search this site for downloadable materials. When you locate a title of interest, add it to the My Cart and check out the title.
- Once you have checked out a title, a download page is displayed. Click the 'Download' link to start the download.
- Once the download is complete, open and enjoy the title.
- At the end of the loan period, titles will expire and be automatically 'returned' to the library. At this time, you can delete the expired file(s) from your computer and/or portable device.
- e-Books may be returned early. Audiobooks may not.
- For more information on the checkout process, click here.
Explore your options…
- You may search for digital materials using a variety of criteria on the advanced search page. To go to the advanced search page, click here.
- You may take digital materials with you on-the-go. Many audio titles can be burned to CD and most audio titles can be transferred to supported portable devices.
- If you come across a title that you want to borrow, you can add it to your 'My Wish List'. For more information on your 'My Wish List', click here.
- If a desired title is not available, you can place it on hold. For more information on placing holds, click here.
Digital Media Guided Tour
Quick Start Guide
Audio Books Software Help WMA
Audiobooks Software Help MP3
Compatible Portable Devices
NH Downloadable Books Blog
e-Reader Resources (overview information provided by the Internet Public Library)